Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What are my legal options concerning the playing of Xmas music at my work


What are my legal options concerning the playing of Xmas music at my work?
I currently work in a warehouse operated by a well-established international company. Last year, two weeks before Xmas, the company began to play Xmas music on the overhead. This part is important, so bear with me. The company made a big deal about playing music previously. They would play satellite music stations varying from pop to adult contemporary to rock and country music. A very small number of people who worked in the warehouse claimed they were offended by just about every music genre that was chosen. As a result, the management just turned off the system they had spent a wad of money on for the enjoyment of the rest of the workforce there. The music was turned off for a few months, when two weeks before Xmas, the music was turned on to a station that played just Xmas music. Some of the songs were contemporary versions of Xmas classics, and some were the traditional versions. But after a few days of listening to it for 8 hours a day, it really started to get old. I discovered the reason for the music was one or two management personnel who thought it'd be great to play the music. The problem was that they spent a large amount of their time in their office, which did not have the music pumped in. The warehouse GM was a big B.A.C. (Born Again Christian) so apparently he thought the idea of playing non-stop Xmas music for hours on end was a great idea as well. After the first week, I contacted several legal and religious groups about what my legal options were, and I was told that short of taking the company to court, there wasn't much I could do. Of course I spoke with the GM about the music, and I was told that the majority of the people in the warehouse liked the music, which was the opposite of what I heard. I only knew of one person who liked the music who wasn't in management, and she was one of the few who complained about the non-Xmas music being played previously. I found a court case that happened somewhere in Europe where a man had sued his company for the same reason and won. I printed the article and taped it to the GM's door (he wasn't there), along with a note about how the US military used music as a form of torture for Muslim captives and the case when they used it to get Manuel Noriega out of the Vatican. I'm not sure if my note was the reason, but the next day the music was turned off. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Scrooge. I wouldn't mind if they played Xmas music the day before we were off for Xmas, or even for two days. But TWO WEEKS? The old GM is gone, and the group that liked the music is in control of the management of the warehouse. What can I do to make sure the warehouse isn't subjected to the same thing? Of course I would speak with the management, but I need something heafty in my favor that would back my arguement. Thanks in advance. Before I get anymore snooty comments, apparently I'm not the only one: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/14/christmas_music_torture/ And yes, of course I'm happy to have a job, but have any of you been forced to listen to 80 hours of Xmas music in 8 hour increments? I also think it's odd (not really, just being sarcastic) that they didn't play any Hanukkah music when that was going on, they didn't play any Kwanzaa music when that happened, they didn't play any Muslim music for Ramadan...plus, they played Xmas music for the Western Xmas...they didn't play Xmas music for the Eastern Orthodox Xmas in January. Get the picture? My place of business is run by a bunch of Bible Thumpers who are Southern Baptists and think the rest of the world is the same, which it isn't. Gee, wearing noise reduction headphones...while I'm operating equipment around dozens of people...what a bad idea. Apparently this was a waste of time.
Law & Ethics - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Precisely, what is your beef that is a legal matter? The company can play Achy Breaky Heart in a continuous loop if it wants. It's up to the ownership of the warehouse, not the employees. If you don't like it, find a new job. This isn't a legal matter. It's the right of any owner to play what they want.
2 :
In reality even if you had unlimited funs to hire a bull dog legal firm you probably would not prevail to prohibited the company from playing Christmas music for two weeks
3 :
It is worth it to you to get into a conflict regarding a couple of weeks of Christmas music that only happens once a year. With a lot of people losing their jobs in this economy. . . be grateful you still have one and stop complaining over trivial things. Good Luck!
4 :
The government has no standing to tell a company what music to play and what not to play. You have no legal grounds to file a lawsuit. You'd find it hard to find a lawyer willing to take the case, and you'd be hard to actually win the case if you did. Remember, European law is VERY different from U.S. law. They have a lot more restrictions than the U.S. does, so a European lawsuit wouldn't do much good. Playing Christmas music is hardly a form of torture either. Your keyword with the Muslims is they were captives. You are not a captive to your company. If you don't like the music, you best find yourself a new job, because its going to be playing and playing.. heck, they could play it all year round if they want and there is absolutely nothing the courts can do about it.
5 :
Gets some Bose noise reduction headphones. Wear them all the time. If someone says something to you about them you can say the constant playing of music makes it hard for you to think and work. If that does not reduce the music enough, get an Ipod and hook it to the Bose headphones. The headphones will tone down the Xmas music and you can easily hear whatever music you want from the Ipod.