Monday, December 7, 2009

How to show my concerns for the Sistine Chapel


How to show my concerns for the Sistine Chapel?
I recently went to Rome this summer, which of course was FULL of tourists (I was one of them so I'm not complaining about them). Upon walking into the Sistine Chapel, I noticed signs everywhere saying no flashes for cameras, but EVERYONE in there had their flashes going off. Which as most know, can deteriorate a painting. There were guards in there that were doing absolutely nothing! I found this to be such an outrage, does anyone else agree? Is there any way to contact the Vatican to let them know that by allowing this behavior from tourists, they are destroying a beautiful work of art on their Sistine Chapel ceiling? Please let me know if you have any ideas. PS. I already looked at their website and found nothing.
Painting - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
this is a good point you bring up. but no matter what, you cant really stop it. of course they can kick people out, but what do they care, they already got their pictures. humans are selfish and ignorant and nothing can really change that.
2 :
It does not surprise me that the Italian guards were doing nothing, Italians can be pretty lazy at times (I am Italian so don't anyone take offense to this remark). I think that someone else owns the copy write to print pictures of the Sistine Chapel, not the Vatican, and I thought that was why you couldn't take pictures of it.