Saturday, May 21, 2011

How to get a publisher


How to get a publisher?
I am working on a the Da Vinci Code like story on the highly regimented Vaidantik sect of Hinduism with its Vatican like headquarter at BELUR near Calcutta in India. How can I get a publisher?? I also need to take a year or two off my job for research. So, a fat advance will be welcome.
Books & Authors - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If this is your first novel... you have a way to go before you get published and it is unlikely you will get a huge advance. You need a literary agent who will only sign you once you've completed the novel. This literary agent will know what publishers to contact that would be most accepting of your manuscript. However, I think the market is flooded with 'Da Vinci Code' style manuscripts at the moment... maybe think of something new!
2 :
There's little chance you'll get an advance before writing the book. It doesn't work that way if you're an unknown. And publishers rarely accept unagented queries and submissions. I'm afraid you're going to have to find other means of funding if you're going to take time off work to write this book (which sounds interesting, by the way.) Most published writers keep their regular jobs. Very few become as financially successful as Dan Brown. For tips on finding an agent, do a Yahoo Answers search on terms like "publish book", "publish novel", "how do I publish my book", etc. The question has been asked and answered many times.